No matter what goal you are trying to achieve, you will have to determine what your objectives are, and what activities you will engage in to help you meet those objectives. You will also have to determine what outcomes you expect to measure alongside those activities as you move towards your target date.
Along with this process, you will have to evaluate all the resources necessary to complete your goal journey. For instance, to achieve our weight loss goal, you will need to ask yourself questions like:
- How much money will it take to get a gym membership?
- Do I have the time to dedicate to planning my meals?
- Do I need to get a doctor to sign off on my plan?
- Do I have a workout buddy?
- What will my new food budget be?
- Where is the best place to get quality workout shoes?
There is a whole host of considerations that will have to be made when laying out the game plan for achieving your goals. However, taking the time to think critically about all that’s involved is necessary to help you be successful. See my article, “How to Conduct a SWOT Analysis for Your Personal Goals”
to get more information on what’s involved in the process of assessing your ability to achieve your goals.
Now let’s set some objectives for this goal. (Please note that this is not an actual diet plan, and is not intended to be used as such. It’s only for example purposes!)
- Lose 2 pounds per week (Short-term)
- Lose 8 pounds per month (Medium-term)
- Lose 25 pounds in 3 months (Long-term)
- Weight myself every Friday
- Monitor my daily caloric intake
- Keep a daily log of how many cups of water I drink
- Exercise 4 days per week
- Start a high protein, low-calorie diet, eating 1500 calories per day
- Drink 8 cups of water a day