Consumer Products for Highly-Anticipated Properties Include the 2020 Ghostbusters Film and Upcoming Animated Musical Vivo Television Properties Cobra Kai, Outlander, The Boys and El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie Will Introduce their Audiences Across the Globe to Brand New Products in Apparel, Collectibles and More
CULVER CITY, Calif. – September 30, 2019 — With a brand new entry in the Ghostbusters franchise, an upcoming animated musical with all new original songs written by Lin-Manuel Miranda and multiple acclaimed television series, Sony Pictures Consumer Products (SPCP) is bringing its 2019 and 2020 lineup of global licensing and merchandising initiatives to Brand Licensing Europe (BLE) 2019. With innovative collaborations for licensees and retailers around the world, SPCP is maximizing the impact of the studio’s largest properties by highlighting the diversity of content across both film and television.
“For BLE, we wanted to exhibit our entrepreneurial approach to consumer products by showcasing our global film and television franchises,” said Jamie Stevens, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Consumer Products for Sony Pictures Entertainment. “By developing content that engages our audiences, both in America and abroad, SPCP has established itself as a true innovator in the licensing and merchandising space.”
SPCP will be shining the spotlight on some of its most iconic properties including Ghostbusters, Cobra Kai, Outlander and the upcoming Vivo at BLE 2019, giving fans, retailers and licensees a chance to interact with their latest lineup of consumer products.
SPCP will continue to expand Columbia Pictures’ fan-favorite Ghostbusters brand with a variety of exciting programs including toys, apparel, publishing, interactive games and more leading into the new film release in 2020. Award-winning filmmaker Jason Reitman (Up in the Air, Juno), son of the 1984 Ghostbusters director and producer Ivan Reitman, will direct the next chapter of Ghostbusters.
Upcoming 2020 Ghostbusters film licensing program includes:
- Hasbro has been named as the worldwide master toy licensee for Ghostbusters and will create a wide variety of toys for the film’s release in 2020 that will appeal to Ghostbusters fans of every age
- In support of the upcoming film, SPCP will showcase its multi-category licensing program that will extend across all key categories including accessories, apparel, publishing, collectibles and interactive
Classic Ghostbusters licensing program includes:
- Collaborations on apparel, including loungewear, pajamas, sweatshirts, denim, as well as accessories, home, travel products, and backpacks with top-tier licensees including Cotton-On, Cakeworthy, Roller Rabbit, and Naked & Famous Denim will deliver unique fashion collections inspired by Ghostbusters.
- Two Iconic 80s brands, Ghostbusters and Transformers, have joined forces for a five issue comic series crossover from IDW Publishing. In Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Mexico, Blue Ocean will release a second issue of the Ghostbusters x Playmobil magazine that will include an all-new original kids comic story, activity pages and more. The issue will also include a special Ghostbusters x Playmobil figure mounted on the cover.
- Featuring new HD graphics and available to pre-order now ahead of its October 4th release for PlayStation®4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and Windows PC, is Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered from Saber Interactive. Additional games available now include Ghostbusters World AR on mobile devices from 4:33 and Ghostbusters: Franchise 84, developed by Sony Pictures Television Games and available exclusively on Amazon Alexa devices. In addition, Ghostbusters is featured in a variety of game integrations through collaborations with Psyonix, PikPok, Frontier Developments, Zynga, Digital Legends and Ludia.
From Sony Pictures Animation, the studio behind Spider-Man™: Into the Spider-Verse, comes Vivo, an animated musical adventure featuring all-new original songs from Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator of the Broadway smash “Hamilton,” whose flair for mashing up musical styles will give the film a wholly unique and contemporary sound. This incredible story about music and friendship will take audiences on an epic adventure to gorgeous and vibrant locations never before seen in animation.
- SPCP will unveil a multi-category licensing program in support of the film’s debut in November 2020, including consumer products ranging from musical instruments, toys to home goods, through collaborations with Jazwares, Franco, Trends and more.
- Jazwares has been named the master toy licensee for Vivo and will be bringing a full line of toys to market, including musical instruments from their First Act brand.
- Building a comprehensive publishing program in support of the film, SPCP has teamed up with licensees Simon & Schuster, ABRAMS and Bendon to offer a variety of children’s and coffee table books for Vivo.
With Season 1 and 2 now available on Netflix, Outlander has engaged fans through a variety of consumer products meant to enhance the time-traveling romance through collaborations with over 40 licensees.
- With the hotly-anticipated Season 5 set to debut in early 2020, viewers can satiate their hunger and add to their collection of fan-based products with calendars, posters, collectibles, drinkware, trading cards and prop and costume replicas, in addition to lifestyle products like shawls, tams, fashion accessories and jewelry. Retailers of Outlander-branded products range from mass, specialty stores to high-end fashion retailers and more.
- Licensees include Torrid, Abby Shot, fine-jeweler Bixler’s, Scottish Highland wear company The Celtic Croft, Silver Screen Bottling Company and Random House. SPCP is also collaborating with The Araca Group to revamp the official Outlander online store, the go-to destination for merchandise, in preparation for Season 5.
Hot off its Season 3 renewal, YouTube Premium’s most-viewed and acclaimed TV show Cobra Kai tells the legendary tale of arch-rivals from the iconic Karate Kid films to an entirely new generation. Following the premiere of Season 2, which boasts over 47 million views and an 88 percent Certified Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, Cobra Kai and Miyagi Dojo philosophies stand more at odds than ever before.
- Through apparel, accessories, collectibles, publishing and costumes, with licensees such as Bioworld, Funko, NECA, Surreal Entertainment, Party City and more, the Cobra Kai brand will reach both old and new audiences in a brand new light. The official Cobra Kai online store from The Araca Group gives fans direct access to unique products that celebrate the classic and newly reimagined brand.
- In addition to the Ghostbusters collaboration, IDW Publishing has also been named as the global licensee for the upcoming line of Cobra Kai comics.
In anticipation of the recently announced second Season, The Boys, which is one of Amazon’s most watched original series, will continue to follow Hughie (Jack Quad – The Hunger Games), Billy (Karl Urban – Star Trek) and the rest of The Boys as they continue their heroic quest to uncover the truth about The Seven and Vought International. The Boys is a dark and subversive action-comedy that takes place in a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame.
- SPCP is developing a full consumer products program that will extend across all key categories including apparel, accessories, costumes, collectibles and interactive.
EL CAMINO: A BREAKING BAD MOVIE
The highly anticipated television event, El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie is set to hit theaters and Netflix on October 11. In the wake of his dramatic escape from captivity, Jesse (Aaron Paul) must come to terms with his past in order to forge some kind of future. This gripping thriller is written and directed by Vince Gilligan, the creator of Emmy® -winning series Breaking Bad.
- In support of the upcoming movie sequel, SPCP will execute merchandise and marketing programs with Spencer’s, Transworld and the official Breaking Bad online store.
- Rust Belt Brewing will be launching a Schraderbräu beer, named after Hank Schrader’s (Dean Norris) famed home brew, available on Craftshack.com, Costco locations in New Mexico, and select California retailers.
- K-Swiss will be releasing limited edition shoes inspired by Breaking Bad, in collaboration with Foot Locker and its Project Greenhouse app. Additional limited edition products will launch later in Spring 2020.
- USAopoly will release Breaking Bad-themed Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit games in 2020.