Banana Pudding has always been one of my favorite foods. Ironic, because I’m not very fond of bananas normally. I generally find them too sweet and too mushy and I always eat them slightly green.
However, when you pair bananas with homemade vanilla custard, meringue, and vanilla wafers it’s magical.
Meringue is something my Step-Grandma Queenie used to make a lot. I loved watching her make it as a kid. I thought watching how the egg whites turned into fluffy, heavenly goodness was the coolest thing ever. I wish she could see me make mine now. I like to think she’d be proud. 🙂
This banana pudding recipe is simple and quick. It only took me about 40 minutes to prepare today. Try it out and tell me your thoughts.
- 6 oz evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 large egg yolks reserve egg whites
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces of vanilla wafers
- 2 ripe medium bananas sliced
Shopping ListNestle Carnation Evaporated Milk, 1 Can of 12 Oz (354 ml)
Domino Sugar, Granulated, 10-Pound Bags
Amazon Brand – Happy Belly Sea Salt, Fine Ground, 16 Ounces
King Arthur, All Purpose Unbleached Flour, Non-GMO Project Verified, Certified Kosher, No Preservatives, 10 Pounds
Amazon Brand – Happy Belly Vanilla Wafers, 12 Ounce
Amazon Brand – Happy Belly Cream of Tartar, 5 Ounces
- Whisk together the evaporated milk, granulated sugar, flour and salt until dissolved.
- Warm the evaporated milk mixture over medium heat in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- While that’s warming, in the same bowl you just used, whisk the egg yolks with the half & half and gradually pour that into the warmed evaporated milk mixture, still whisking.
- Constantly stir while cooking for 10-15 minutes until the custard has thickened.
- Once thickened remove from the heat and whisk in 1 Tbsp of butter and 1/2 Tbsp of pure vanilla. Set this off to the side.
- 6 reserved egg whites
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
- 6 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Whip the 6 reserved egg whites with the vanilla, and cream of tarter. Sweeten with granulated sugar.
- Whip for 3-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
Assemble the Banana Pudding
- Layer the bottom of an 11 cup rectangular oven safe dish with vanilla wafers and and a layer of banana slices. Layer with 1/2 of the custard.
- Repeat those steps.
- Spread the meringue on top of the banana pudding.
- Set the oven to broil to toast the top.
- Store in fridge.