There’s no question that a grilled cheese sandwich can bring a smile to anyone’s face! It’s warm, gooey, and full of nostalgia. What better day to share one of my favorite grilled cheese recipes with you than on National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day.
National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day is observed annually in the United States on April 12th. According to National Day, “many cultures around the world have enjoyed cooked bread and cheese since ancient times. The United States modern version of the grilled cheese sandwich originated in the 1920s. As sliced bread and American cheese became easily available, Americans began making open-faced grilled cheese sandwiches.”
I love grilled cheese sandwiches, especially in winter paired with a bowl of nice hot Imagine Organic Creamy Tomato Soup. Mixing and matching the wide array of breads and cheeses to make different combinations makes it seemingly impossible to have the same grilled cheese sandwich twice.
You can simply put gouda on rye bread, toast on both sides with butter, and there you go. You can smear pesto and a layer of mozzarella, and toast with olive oil. You can even keep it basic and go with the OG, American cheese, toasted with mayonnaise. It’s your world and you can grill it however you want.
Today, I’m making one of my favorites for National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day, Chipotle Shrimp and Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich. This is an especially perfect sandwich to make today because it’s a bit cold and rainy. My Chipotle Shrimp and Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich is a very simple sandwich to make but it packs a ton of flavor. It’s smoky, has a hint of kick, and will definitely warm your soul.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 4 slices Dave’s Right Done Right
- 4 ounces uncooked shrimp
- 2 tbsp Sir. Kensington Chipotle Mayo
- 2 tbsp Kerrygold Salted Butter
- 4 one ounce slices of Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese
- Chop uncooked shrimp into small pieces and boil in water for 5 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Take 2 slices of bread and butter on one side.
- Lay bread buttered-side down on the griddle.
- Smear a layer of chipotle mayo and add one slice of cheddar.
- Next, add minced shrimp.
- Top with another slice of cheddar.
- Then, smear mayo on each of the other two bread slices. Use this to top the assembled sandwich.
- Lastly, smear butter on the top of each sandwich.
- Turn the griddle on medium heat until cook for 4 minutes on one side.
- Flip sandwich and repeat on the other side.
- Slice and enjoy the cheesy goodness.
Let me know if you enjoy the sandwich. If you have your won favorite grilled cheese recipe, please share in the comments below. Bon appetite!