Beans, Beans, They’re Good for Your Dreams: A Guide to DC’s Best Micro-Roasters
Micro-roasters have taken the coffee world by storm, and Washington, DC is no exception. These small-batch roasters prioritize quality over quantity, sourcing the best beans from around the world and roasting them to perfection. So, what exactly is a micro-roaster? While there is no formal definition, they are generally defined as commercial operations that use small batch machines or roast less than 100,000 lbs of coffee per year.
The benefits of buying from a micro-roaster are numerous. For starters, the coffee is fresher and more flavorful than mass-produced options found in grocery stores. This is because micro-roasters roast in smaller quantities, ensuring that each batch is roasted to perfection and sold at peak freshness. Additionally, buying from micro-roasters supports local businesses, allowing you to enjoy a delicious cup of coffee while also contributing to the community.
DC is home to some of the best micro-roasters in the country. Here are the top 10 micro-roasters in DC and their must-try coffees:
- Compass Coffee: Known for its signature “The Waypoint” blend, this coffee roaster offers a smooth and balanced cup with notes of chocolate and caramel.
- Small Planes Coffee: This roaster’s Ethiopian Yirgachee coffee is a fan favorite, boasting floral and citrus notes with a hint of sweetness.
- Swing’s Coffee: Swing’s “Federal Blend” is a classic DC coffee, with a medium roast and a rich, full-bodied flavor.
- Qualia Coffee: The “Ethiopia Yirgachee” from Qualia Coee is a bright, fruity coffee with a light body and clean finish.
- Vigilante Coffee: Vigilante’s “El Salvador Finca San Jose” is a complex coffee with dark chocolate, cherry, and subtle acidity notes.
- Ceremony Coffee Roasters: Ceremony’s “Heart of Darkness” blend is a bold and rich coffee with notes of dark chocolate and caramel.
- Grace Street Coffee Roasters: Grace Street’s “Brazil FAF Sitio Santo Antonio” boasts a smooth and creamy body with notes of milk chocolate and nutty flavors.
- Zeke’s Coffee: Zeke’s “Atomic” blend is a dark roast with a bold and smoky flavor, perfect for those who prefer a stronger cup of coffee.
- Sidamo Coffee and Tea: Sidamo’s “Ethiopia Sidamo” is a bright and juicy coffee with notes of blueberry and a floral aroma.
- Rare Bird Coffee Roasters: Rare Bird’s “Colombia La Esperanza” is a medium roast coffee with notes of milk chocolate and a subtle sweetness.
The rise of coffee micro-roasters in DC has allowed for a unique and diverse coffee scene in the city. With a focus on quality and sustainability, these roasters are sure to please any coffee lover’s palate. Whether you’re a coffee connoisseur or just looking for a great cup of joe, micro-roasters are definitely worth seeking out. Their commitment to quality and passion for the art of roasting shines through in every sip. So go ahead, take a sip, and support your local micro-roaster today!